I have two COLVILLE connections. I will start with the line that is most elusive. It has been pretty well accepted that SAMUEL EVANS married a COLVILLE lady. Just exactly what her first name was has not been determined. The names that seem to be most widely accepted are ANN or NANCY. What follows is what I think I know about ANN/NANCY. She was b. c1733, Frederick Co., VA; d. 1790, Washington Co., VA, buried in Sinking Springs Cemetery, Abingdon, Washington Co., VA. She married SAMUEL EVANS, b. c1735, Washington Co., VA; d. 1799, Knox Co., TN. (Possible son of DAVID EVANS).
The parents of Ann/Nancy are not known by this researcher. There have been genealogies which list her parents as ANDREW COLVILLE and MARY CRAIG. Ann/Nancy can not be their daughter if her birth date is close to being correct and that of Andrew's and Mary's are fairly accurate. In the book "Marriages of Some Virginia Residents 1607-1800, Vol. 1" by Dorothy Ford Wulfeck, Andrew is listed as being born 1739, died 1797. Mary is listed as being born c1744. No marriage date is given for them.
My Colville family file has almost 5500 names-I do not have a listing for an Ann or Nancy that fits into the timeline that has been set for Ann/Nancy.
More information on the descendants of Ann/Nancy and Samuel Evans can be found at Samuel Evans Web Page
The other line is that of ELIZABETH COLVILLE, b. 1729, Ireland; d. 1756; married JOHN BLACK, b. Ireland; d. c1747, Peckan, Frederick Co., VA. Her second marriage was to SAMUEL NEWELL. It would seem she was the daughter of JOSEPH COLVILLE and ELIZABETH WILSON.
What follows is her ancestral line (not necessarily proven). Problems in this lineage can be noted at generations 8, 9 & 10. If the birth years are fairly accurate, then James Colville and Alison Bruce do not fit into the lineage unless they are moved up to generation number 8. In that case, Robert Colville and Margaret Ramsay do not fit. This of course needs more research.
I welcome any comments, suggestions and of course documentation that proves or disproves this lineage.
1. Elizabeth Colville (1729-1756) md. John Black (????-c1747)
2. Joseph Colville (1691-1758) md. Elizabeth Wilson (c1700-1765)
3. William Colville (1655-1719) md. Sarah ?? (c1660-1703)
4. Alexander Colville (1628-1659) md. Wife unknown
5. James Colville (1597-1670) md. Lady Margaret ?? (c1600-c1660)
6. Robert Colville (c1570-1634) md. Beatrix Haldane (c1571-????)
7. Robert Colville (c1532-1634) md. Margaret Lindsay (c1545-1601)
8. Robert Colville (1519-1560) md. Margaret Ramsay (c1520-????)
9. Robert Colville (b. c1500-1506) md. Francisca Colquhoun (b. c1500-1512)
10. James Colville (c1512-bef 1540) md. Alison Bruce (c1512-bef 1536)
11. Robert Colville (c1493-1513) md. Elizabeth Arnot (c1493-bef 1527/28)
12. Robert Colville (c1473-aft 1494/95) md. Margaret Logan (c1473-????)
13. Robert Colville (c1430-bef 1488/89) md. Eufame Wallace (c1435-????)
14. Robert DeColville, II (c1400-bef 1466) md. Christian Crichton (c1395-bef 1477/78)
15. Robert DeColville (c1369-c1449) md. Margaret Colvill (c1370-aft 1441)
16. Thomas DeColville (c1348-bef 1402/03) md. Margaret DeLindsay
17. Robert Colville (c1313-1397) md. Wife unknown
18. Robert Colville (c1283-1362) md. Katerina ?? (c1293-????)
19. Thomas DeColvyle (Sir) (c1250-1324) md. Wife unknown
20. William DeColvyle (c1230-1280) md. ?? DeNormanville (c1230-????)
21. John DeColvyle (Sir) (c1203-1250) md. Wife unknown
22. Thomas DeColvyle (c1180-1211) md. Amarilis ?? (c1183-????)
23. Philip DeColvyle (c1160-1181) md. Wife unknown
As stated earlier, I have a file that at this time (Dec. 1998) consists of about 5500 names. I welcome any and all additions.
This will take you back to my main page Lynda's Genealogy Page
Let me know what you think about my page. Send mail by clicking here.